Sunday, November 18, 2012

There Is So Much Good In The Worst Of Us

I'm listening to this song today

It is playing as a background to my facebook surfing... to tell you the truth, I can't even tell you what the song is really about (I enjoy the tune of it so I let it play)... and then... this line... "There is so much good in the worst of us, so much bad in the best of us".

And it hits me with truth... I can't shake this sentence off my mind... and I don't even know what the rest of the song says.

The neighborhood I work in is full of homeless people, meth addicts, and people I would have previously labeled as "strange".  Over the course of my few months there I have met and gotten to know some of these people... and I've grown to miss them when I don't see them often.  As Christians, we are quick to offer help to those we consider "needy" and "broken" but so often this help only extends to those we're comfortable with.  It's so easy to close our eyes to those we consider "undeserving", those who (in our not so humble opinion) have brought this suffering upon themselves, those who may take our "hard-earned" money and use it on drugs or alcohol.

I beg you today to be different from those who are rushing past with a disgusted look on their faces.  I beg you to see (even if just for a moment) past the addiction, past the smell, past all those exterior things - and try to see the good in those people.  I promise you - your life will be enriched by their stories and their friendship.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...