Thursday, November 8, 2012

Cry For Help


It breaks my heart every time I go outside.  Far Rockaway.  The area where I spent the last 7 years doing Sidewalk Sunday School.  The people whom I saw almost every week.  Struggling.  No power, no heat, no phone… in many places still without gas or running water (even though gas and running water have been restored to some areas but not everywhere still).

I HATE SANDY (the hurricane)!!!

On Saturday I was in Far Rockaway again doing the relief work with Metro Ministries.  As I was standing by one of the trucks I saw a woman I knew from one of my Sidewalk Sunday School sites (mind you we’re at least 38 blocks away from where she lives). She cried and told me they lost everything…

I wish you could see this with your own eyes.  People still staying in the apartments with no heat (some apartments closer to the ocean had broken windows).  Many apartments on bottom floors (1st and 2nd) got flooded destroying every piece of clothes and furniture and mattress and blankets these people had – how can one get warm with no heat and no blanket?  Many apartments got looted.  One of my dear families lost everything not because of the flooding but because they returned to the looted home.  They have no clothes, everything of value had been carried away, their mattresses slashed to find hidden money (as if they had any).

And now as if that weren't enough struggle - a snow storm hit NYC yesterday.

on my way home from work - a snow storm

It’s killing me to not be able to do much. The organization Bryan & I volunteer at has done amazing job at going out into the affected areas of Red Hook, Coney Island, and my dear Far Rockaway and handing out blankets, food, and water.  There is still so much need.

I wish I could help that family.  I wish I could buy those girls new clothes and new mattresses but I can’t.  We gave them our sleeping bags and some towels and things… but it seems so little…

Last night I wanted to write the post and ask you to send money so we can buy some clothes and mattresses for this family and others.  But I realized that even though it is important – it is more important that you ask yourself this question – “What can I do to help?”  I assure you the need is huge.  What can I do to extend God’s love to these people who are getting more and more desperate now with this snow storm that fell upon the city?  Can I send money?  Can I send clothes?  Can I pray?  Can I send blankets?  Can I… options are endless as to what you can do.

This morning I am not asking you for money.  Sometimes it is easier to write a check than to allow God to break your heart for the suffering of the people.  Beware of that danger. 

I am asking you to get involved in whichever way you can.  I am asking you to seek God and do whatever you can to help these people (whether it involves sending money or not).

The Scripture I’m about to quote is often used in reference to two people getting married or two friends.  I urge you today to read it as brothers and sisters in Christ – family to those who you may not know personally but who so desperately need your help.  Many of them are all alone in their trouble now.

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor.  For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.  But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up.  Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; but how can one be warm alone?”  (Ecclesiastes 4:9-11)
  
The snow storm has hit NYC - and many people are still struggling
without water, heat or basic necessities

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...