Thursday, November 8, 2012

Attitude Adjustment


I am in my apartment. I’m cold.  I have warm pajamas and a sweater on as I crawl underneath my blanket and want to stay there until spring.  I’m annoyed by all the little rodents that are trying to find their way into my home now that the weather is terribly cold outside and in the basement.  I’m making some tough decisions right now.  My internet is out which means this post would have to wait to get published until I get to Starbucks. I’ve dealt with a few people’s problems yesterday and they made me feel like nothing I say ever matters so why bother trying to help people. It is snowing outside and did I mention that I wanted to stay underneath my blanket till spring?

Yet, as I look at my tiny inconveniences they all seem ridiculous. Tiny, puny, and insignificant little issues that can easily be reversed with a little attitude adjustment.

I have an apartment.  I remember when we looked for one and could not find anything within our budget.  This apartment was a blessing from God that allowed us to stay in New York and continue doing what we do.

I’m cold.  I have warm pajamas and a sweater on as I crawl underneath my blanket and want to stay there until spring. But I have a sweater to put on and my heat as weak and broken as it is is better than nothing.  And did I mention my blanket and my warm pajamas?  Those fuzzy socks are sure coming in handy right now. This is more than most of my friends in Far Rockaway can dream of.

I’m annoyed by all the little rodents that are trying to find their way into my home now that the weather is terribly cold outside and in the basement.  Ok that’s a tough one.  I hate mice and I hate them even more when they are trying to share an apartment with me without contributing to the paying of the bills.  I can still be grateful.  I can be grateful for the fact that I have a husband who’s trying to get rid of them.  I can be grateful that he’s dealing with that and not me.  If I try to focus on the right things – I can still be grateful.

I’m making some tough decisions right now. I’m grateful to even have options to choose from. 

My internet is out which means this post would have to wait to get published until I get to Starbucks. Really? Come on, Helen!  Firstly, it’s just the Internet and it’s not like I don’t have a smart phone.  Secondly, did I mention Starbucks?

I’ve dealt with a few people’s problems yesterday and they made me feel like nothing I say ever matters so why bother trying to help people. Because one day either it’ll click or they will be left speechless when God holds them accountable for their thoughts and actions.

It is snowing outside and did I mention that I wanted to stay underneath my blanket till spring? I’ve covered that already.

My circumstances never changed.  The situation I find myself in – here in my apartment typing up this post – has not changed.  My attitude did.

My prayer for you today is that when you find yourself in a situation where your heart is growing whiny and discontent – that you would be able to reverse it with an attitude adjustment.  We do have so much – let’s be grateful.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...